Shingo Takagi vs Naruki Doi vs YAMATO vs Kotoka vs Naoki Tanizaki vs Cyber Kong
Hair vs Mask Steel Cage Survival Double Risk Six-Way Match
Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium, Aichi, Japan
(reviewed 01/19/2017) Every year the Dead or Alive cage match is overbooked, overblown, overlong, goofy spotfest bullshit, and every year it’s tons of fun. The pinnacle of Dragon Gate weirdness. Highlights include:
- Akira Tozawa wearing Kotoka’s facepaint as his second.
- Cyber Kong being too afraid of heights to escape the cage.
- Punch Tominaga preventing Shingo, the guy he’s meant to be seconding, from escaping the cage.
- Tanizaki fighting past Shingo to be the first guy to escape.
- CIMA and Gamma using a soccer ball launcher on the participants in the match.
- YAMATO going back to save his husband Doi, choosing to remain in the match in order to help him.
- Kotoka getting a whipped cream pie in the face.
- Tanizaki pretending to help YAMATO escape before misting him in the face.
- Against all adds, Doi choosing to go back and save his husband YAMATO after spending his entire career stabbing his partners in the back.
- The escaped members of the match coming into the cage to attack YAMATO.
- Doi taking the Pumping Bomber for YAMATO moments before turning his back on him.
- Kzy, Yosuke Santa Maria, and BxB Hulk all coming out to prevent Kotoka from escaping, helping YAMATO to win the match.
- Kotoka getting his head shaved and looking like a goddamn gremlin afterward.
- YAMATO tearfully greeting his new friends and vowing to destroy VerserK.